Applications can be submitted using the Online Application Form.
There is a non-refundable application fee of $100 Canadian for Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents. For all international applicants, the application fee is $162 Canadian. The online application accepts Visa and Mastercard.
In addition to a completed application form and the fee, the applicant must upload in the application system:
- 1 scanned (digital) copy of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- 3 letters of reference from university instructors under whom the applicant has studied, or employers: Links will be sent to all referees indicated in the online application after the application has been submitted and fee paid. References emailed directly to the School will NOT be accepted.
- Copies of 2 essays as examples of your written academic work in English;
- A personal statement (one to three pages) outlining your goals and expectations for the program;
- A well-researched statement (two to three pages) of your area of thesis interest, with preliminary ideas for your thesis.
- This last statement will help the selection committee with respect to understanding which of the four departments working in the Master of Arts in Children’s Literature Program is likely to have a faculty member to supervise your thesis.
- For those applying for a Hybrid MACL/CRWR Thesis
- If you are interested in pursuing a Hybrid thesis as outlined here, where you will write and revise an entire manuscript for an original early chapter book, middle grade novel, or young adult novel, there is an added step to the application process.
- When preparing your application to MACL, in order to assess your suitability for this specialized MACL stream, please include a creative writing portfolio of approximately 20 pages along with your application. This portfolio is not necessary if you are only interested in the academic thesis. Your portfolio should include some work in your intended genre: early chapter book, middle-grade, or young adult novel. It is also recommended that you briefly describe previous creative writing experience in your statement of intent.
Under normal circumstances, the applicant will be informed of the decision of the Admissions Committee within 6 weeks of the application deadline. The Faculty of Graduate Studies will then inform the applicant, usually within one week, of their final decision on admission. If the applicant is admitted then he/she must promptly log into the online application system to indicate his/her decision to accept or decline the offer.
Conditional admission may be granted pending the completion of formal academic requirements. In such cases, arrangements must be made to have final transcripts sent to the School.