Upon being accepted to the program, please speak with the MACL program chair about your interests and relevant courses to ensure the best course registration experience and to address any questions or concerns.
Step 1: Review the Degree Requirements to ensure you are aware of the categories that your courses must fulfil. We recommend that you contact the Program Chair with any questions or concerns as early as possible.
Step 2: Please familiarize yourself with UBC’s course registration system. We recommend reviewing the following resources for any questions:
- Registration: Advice and procedures for registration and its deadlines, as well as Student Service Centre (SSC) login help
- UBC Enrollment: Comprehensive resources on tuition, awards, courses, records, etc.
- UBC Graduate Student Society – Newly Admitted: More resources for students new to UBC, geared towards specifically addressing graduate student concerns, such as graduate student housing, funding, and orientation.
See Here for Information on Summer 2021 Courses from the UBC iSchool
- LIBR 525: ILLUSTRATED LITERATURE AND OTHER MATERIALS FOR CHILDREN
- Kathie Shoemaker, Tues/Thur 2PM – 4:50PM
- LIBR 524: WRITING, PUBLISHING AND THE BOOK TRADE FOR CHILDREN
- Kathie Shoemaker, Mon/Wed 2PM – 4:50PM
List of Previously Offered Courses
For a full list of current courses, please cross-reference this list with the Course Schedule in the UBC Student Service Centre. If you find a course not on this list, but relevant to your studies, contact the Program Chair.
- CRWR 303 and CRWR 353: Writing for Children and Young Adults
- CRWR 403 and CRWR 433: Writing for Children and Young Adults
- CRWR 503: Advanced Writing for Children and Young Adults
- ENGL 392 (3) Children’s Literature
- LLED 433 (3) Drama in Education: Primary/Elementary Classrooms
- LLED 434 (3) Drama in Education: Intermediate/Middle School through Secondary
- LLED 440 (3) Using Canadian Children’s Literature in the Classroom
- LLED 441 (3) Introduction to Teaching Children’s Literature
- LLED 442 (3) Trends and Issues in Teaching Children’s Literature
- LLED 443 (3) Teaching Folklore in the Elementary Classroom
- LLED 444 (3) Multicultural Children’s Literature in the Elementary Classroom
- LLED 445 (3) Poetry in Education: Elementary and Middle Years
- LLED 446 (3) Teaching with Illustrated Materials: K-12: From Picture Books to Information Texts
- LLED 449 (3) Teaching Adolescents’ Literature
- LLED 535 (3) Theory and Research in Drama in Education
- LLED 540 (3) Introduction to Research in the Teaching of Literature
- LLED 541 (3) Theories and Perspectives in Teaching Literature
- LLED 558 (3) Literacy and Multimodality
- LLED 565A (3) Picture Books Supporting Children’s Literacy Development
- LLED 565 (3) Exploring Cultural Themes in Aboriginal Children’s Literature
- LLED 580 (3) Problems in Education. Guided Independent Study
- LIBR 520 (3) Survey of Literature and Other Materials for Children
- LIBR 521 (3) Contemporary Literature and Other Materials for Children
- LIBR 522G (3) First Nations Literature and Other Materials for Children and Young Adults
- LIBR 523 (3) Canadian Literature and Other Materials for Children
- LIBR 524 (3) Writing, Publishing and the Book Trade for Children
- LIBR 525 (3) Illustrated Literature and Other Materials for Children
- LIBR 526 (3) Literature and Other Materials for Young Adults
- LIBR 541 (3) New Media for Children and Young Adults
- LIBR 594 (3) Directed Study
- FREN 420 (3) Topics in French Literature and Culture (This course may be taken only when the topic is Children’s Literature of the French-Speaking World).